INFORMATICS MINOR REQUIREMENTS
Students are required to take three core courses: INFO 102, CS 105 and INFO 202, all of which count as General Education (GenEd) courses. In addition, students must complete 9 hours of upper-level informatics-related coursework (300-level or above). Most courses emphasize Data, Society, or Expression. Each course must be approved by the Minor.
- Courses may be taken in any order.
- Students are encouraged to take INFO 102 and 202 as soon as possible because there are no substitutions for these courses. Some substitutions are allowed for CS 105 (substitutions include CS 101 and CS 125).
- ECE, CS, IS/IT majors and CS minors have slightly different requirements. For those, see ECE and CS and IS/IT.
- College of Media students should be aware of this College of Media rule.
- The list of upper-level courses is not exhaustive, and it changes as new courses become available. If you see a course that you think should be on the list, please contact the Informatics Advisor. Candidate courses for inclusion will be considered on an individual basis according to the Upper-level course criteria.
- To help you plan your schedule, check out this scheduling tool: Scheedule
- You may wish to take courses to substitute for CS 105 elsewhere. See Parkland CS courses that transfer to UIUC and Courses at other colleges that that transfer to UIUC.
|Core Courses||INFO course descriptions|
||Broad introduction to computer science
(Can also substitute CS 101, CS 125, or the two course sequence of ECE 120 & ECE 220)
|Introduction to Computing – Non Tech
Quant Reasoning I Gen Ed
||Social aspects of Information Technology
Social Sciences Gen Ed
|3 Upper-level courses||List of upper-level courses|
|Must be 300-level or higher||Must have significant informatics/computational content and be approved by the Minor||At least 9 hours (3 courses)|