PROGRAMS | PHD PROGRAM
Admission to the PhD Program
Starting in January 2020, all applicants (including current or former UIUC Masters students) for the Informatics PhD program must apply through the Graduate College Online Application. See https://grad.illinois.edu/admissions/apply for more details.
Basic Admissions Information
- The University of Illinois Urbana Campus Online Application System
- Minimum requirements suggested by the Graduate College
- Information for International Applicants
- General Admission FAQs
Application deadline is December 15 for the following Fall admission.
We strongly recommend that you and your recommenders do not wait until the deadline to submit your application or letters of recommendation, as server traffic may cause technical difficulties. It is highly recommended to have all application materials in one month prior to deadline to expedite admissions decisions.
Applicants to the PhD program must have been awarded (or are about to be awarded) a 4-year bachelors degree equivalent to that granted by the University of Illinois.
To apply, use the Graduate College Online Application. All parts of the application, including application fee, must be received by the application deadline.
Late applications will NOT be accepted. Also, incomplete applications will be subject to denial.
Admissions and financial aid decisions are coordinated by Illinois Informatics.
Admission decisions are typically announced by March 15 for fall admissions. In some cases, however, decisions may be reached much earlier.
Before the application deadline, we strongly encourage applicants to go through the check list below to ensure all applications materials have been submitted. Most are submitted online.
- Application submitted online.
- Application fee paid online with credit card.
- Area of Interest specified online.
- Submit three new letters of recommendation online.
- Three faculty members you might be interested in working with suggested, listed online on the Application Information page.
- Scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL or IELTS) online. Note: Copies are acceptable pending official scores.
Any additional information can be sent to:
If you have any questions with the application process and submitting your materials, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow at least 48 hours from the time the Academic Office receives your materials to be processed and updated in the system.
After the admissions deadline, please allow two to three weeks for materials to be processed and updated in the system due to the large volume of mail received. Please note that our offices are closed during the Christmas and New Year holidays, which may cause further delays.